Latest News

351 South Nassau Street – Triangle Inn

b2ap3_thumbnail_triangle-inn-roof-2012-cropped.jpgThis building was constructed in 1927 as a rooming house or inn. It was specifically designed to house the business. It was not designed as a single family house. It was built by Mrs. Augusta Miner who moved to Venice from Chicago where she ran a tea room. There is no record of the architect who designed the building, just the contractor who built it. Like many others, Mrs. Miner sought new opportunities in the wildly speculative Florida real estate market of the 1920s. She borrowed money to build the Triangle Inn and paid off the loan, unlike many others who defaulted on loans and left the City. 

According to family members, she also purchased acreage in Fort Ogden and raised citrus. She lived in the Triangle Inn and ran the business until 1934. In October of that year, the recently reestablished Venice Fire Department was called to the Triangle Inn to extinguish a fire caused by an oil stove. According to the fire report, Mrs. Minor was fatally burned before the eight volunteers and the assistant fire chief arrived.  There was no damage to the building.

The Triangle Inn was home to piano teachers, secretaries, prospective land buyers, tarpon fisherman, and visitors escaping the cold of the north. During World War II, it was home to civilian employees of the Venice Army Air Base and married military personnel. After the war, it was a private home and during the 1950s it was converted to six apartments. It was a five-unit apartment building when it was acquired by the City of Venice in 1991. The City built a new foundation, moved the building, restored the exterior to its 1920s appearance, and renovated the interior to house the City of Venice Museum and Archives.

Historical documentation provided by: http://www.venicegov.com/archives.asp                              

Photographs provided by: Venice Heritage Inc.                                        

Venice Museum and Archives.http://veniceheritage.org/                                                     

b2ap3_thumbnail_number0974.jpg

Continue reading
1095 Hits

247-251 W. Venice Avenue: The Sanders Building

b2ap3_thumbnail_screen-shot-2013-08-30-at-3.00.15-pm.pngOriginally intended to house a drug store, barbershop, haberdashery, and tearoom, this was the second commercial building constructed in Venice.

H. S. Patterson, local representative of Walker and Gillette, described the front of the building as “decidedly a Venetian design”. The building was designed by architect W. H. Schmaker of Tampa and constructed by the Barrett Construction Company of Tampa. According to an article in the July 10, 1926 edition of “This Week In Venice”, it was scheduled to be completed in 60 days.  In the same article, the owner G.E. Sanders stated that he wished to be the “first merchant of Venice”. By February 1927, advertisements in the local; paper indicated the building was the home of the Rendezvous Tea Shop.

 

Historical documentation provided by:                                      Photographs provided by: 
Venice Heritage Inc.                                                                  Venice Museum and Archives.
http://veniceheritage.org/                                                       http://www.venicegov.com/archives.asp

Today: Shirt Shop, Bresler’s Ice Cream and Treasurers in Time.

 

b2ap3_thumbnail_screen-shot-2013-08-30-at-3.00.29-pm.png

Continue reading
1039 Hits

311 W. Venice Avenue

b2ap3_thumbnail_0122img-center-crop.jpgThis two-story building was owned by Wm. E. Mohler and originally housed the Woolard Furniture Company and the J. T. Hardware Company. As was common during the 1920s, there were rental apartments on the second floor. 

Social notes in the Venice News chronicle the arrival of winter residents to rent these apartments from as far away as Ontario, Canada. The second floor façade clearly shows the raised stucco relief that defined the “Northern Italian” architectural theme for the city. Later this building housed the Venice Electric Supply Company and the Venice Tile Company.

 Historical documentation provided by:                                      Photographs provided by: 
Venice Heritage Inc.                                                                  Venice Museum and Archives.
http://veniceheritage.org/                                                       http://www.venicegov.com/archives.asp
Continue reading
944 Hits

307 W. Venice Avenue

Continue reading
857 Hits

Newsletter

Click Here to Read Past Issues of the Venice MainStreet Newsletter

VisitFlorida Logo

Our Platinum Partners


The Venice Company
Freedom Boat Club
Ehrhart Family Foundation