This was one of several buildings owned by Mr. Estes in Venice. Construction of this building was started in September 1926. By 1927, it was the home of Venice Stationary Company, Meare’s Men’s Shop, and the construction firm of Latimer and Lee.
During the 1940s, it was the home of the Venice Gondolier, and a radio and TV store. Since TVs were not common during this time period, the store owner had a “public” TV in the window. A bench on the sidewalk facing the store window allowed those without a TV at home to relax and view programs during the evening hours. By the 1960s, radio station WAMR had a studio on the second floor.
Photograph provided by Venice Museum & Archives