The depot was constructed in 1927 by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE) at a cost of $47,500 in the Mediterranean Revival style of hollow clay blocks with stucco finish. The 400 foot x 50 foot station was framed of heavy timber hewn at the Brotherhood’s sawmill. The station roof extended over the cars and provided a large waiting room, a ticket office, baggage room, and freight room. It is significant for its historic association with the BLE and their development of the City of Venice, according to the Venice Comprehensive Plan drafted by city planner John Nolen in 1925. It is significant architecturally as an embodiment of the official design theme for the planned city. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 17, 1989.
Historical information provided by Venice Heritage Inc.
Photographs provided by Venice Museum & Archives